Just For You
We talked with patients and their families to learn what matters most to them and we incorporated their ideas into this truly patient-centered cancer center.
Patient-centered amenities include:
- Private and semi-private infusion areas
- Family respite suites designed for family members to return calls/emails or rest during the day
- Patient and Family Resource Center
- ReNew Image Center that offers salon services and oncology products
- Cafe and gift shop
- Natural, glare-free lighting
- Free Wi-Fi
- Gardens and meditation space for contemplation and prayer
- Close parking/parking attendant
- Demonstration kitchen to teach patients and families ways to improve nutrition during and after treatment
- Exercise facility with men and women’s showers
- Community room that seats over 90 and can be divided into smaller-sized rooms for support and networking groups
Access to patient and family support staff during your treatment:
- Oncology Nurse Navigators
- Oncology Certified Nurses
- Oncology Social Workers
- On-site Financial Counselors
- Oncology Certified Dietitians
- Certified Genetics Counselor
- Massage Therapists
Clinical Trials & Research
Patients are able to participate in clinical trials or research studies that try to find better ways to fight cancer. These studies go beyond cancer treatment research to include cancer prevention and cancer screening clinical trials. Today’s trials become tomorrow’s triumphs.
- The latest cancer clinical trials are available locally through the National Cancer Institute (NCI).
- Partnerships sought with the most qualified practitioners and pursuit of national affiliations, including NCI’s Comprehensive Cancer Control Program accreditation, allowing us to expand research opportunities to support basic clinical and population-based initiatives.
- The Cedar Rapids Oncology Project (CROP) is located at Oncology Associates at Mercy Medical Center and participates in national clinical trials with the Mayo Clinic and the National Cancer Institute that are leading to major breakthroughs in cancer treatment. Through the Cedar Rapids Oncology Project, Oncology Associates at Mercy Medical Center actively participates in approximately 50 clinical trials at any given time. This allows a great number of patients access to trials based on the cancer and stage of cancer. The group also participates in “symptom management” studies researching the side effects of medication/chemotherapy and improving quality of life. This includes studies on fatigue, insomnia, neuropathy and memory loss.
For more information about clinical trials, contact Tami Mason, BSN at (319) 363-2690 ext. 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.